Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Lifesaver

This bottle, The First Year Breastflow, has saved me!
Breastfeeding has definitely been the biggest challenge for me with Cambri. We just had a rough start from the beginning with her being a preemie. She just wouldn't suck long enough or hard enough and we had to supplement with formula from day one. Due to this, I never got a sufficient milk supply and only get about half the milk I should. To supplement I would use a  syringe tube thing that I would put next to the breast while she was feeding and she would suck on it and I'd slowly feed her formula while breastfeeding. Well she and I both hated this. The little tube would poke her mouth and she would spit it out and it took about an hour to feed her plus I had to pump after because she still wasn't sucking everything out. So I decided to try feeding her formula with a bottle instead and breastfeed her normally. This worked for a about a day until she loved the flow of the bottle and not how she had to work at the breast so she would nurse for about 5 minutes and stop. So I had to go back to the tube Well my friend told me about this bottle from the beginning but I couldn't fid it anywhere. Finally I found it at target so I bought it and it is AMAZING! It is just like sucking at the breast. I can now breastfeed and she does really well and then supplement with formula using this bottle and we are both so happy! It's the coolest bottle because it has one nipple inside of the other so she has to both suck and compress just like a real breast. The nipple will also collapse down as she is feeding so she doesn't get air as she sucks. It makes her work getting her milk and makes her latch on just she would the breast. It used to only take about 5 minutes to gobble down a bottle and now it takes about 15 minutes or more which is good because it means she has to work at it (and it keeps her awake longer). So yeah, I love this bottle and recommend it to anyone who is breastfeeding and using bottles.

And here are some more cute pictures of Cambri!!!



3 comments:

  1. I started with the Avent bottles and Eli stopped taking them. I found the breastflow bottle and he took to it RIGHT AWAY! I LOVE those bottles they really are the best. I'm glad they are working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for trying to stick with breastfeeding! It's seriously the hardest thing about having a baby and I wanted to quit all the time. I'm glad you found bottles that helped you! Wish I had known about those earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She already looks so much bigger than when I saw her!! So so so cute :) I've never seen these bottles before, but we didn't have to use bottles much with Cohen. How cool though, I will totally remember this if I need bottles with our next baby! I'm glad things are going well for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete